Ruby Slipper Designs Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Pledge
The web industry is one inherently open across borders. Throughout the years, Ruby Slipper has had the honor of working with a diverse group of people from many walks of life, as both contractors and clientele. Not only will we continue to do so, but we will make it a priority.
At Ruby Slipper, a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace is one where all contractors, employees, volunteers, and clientele — no matter their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability — feel valued and respected.
We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in our company. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, ensuring that all voices are valued and heard.
We’re committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the web design industry and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
DIVERSITY Psychological, physical, and social differences that occur among any and all individuals; including but not limited to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, socioeconomic status, education, marital status, language, age, gender, sexual orientation, mental or physical ability, and learning styles.
EQUITY The guarantee of fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement while at the same time striving to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups. The principle of equity acknowledges that there are historically underserved and underrepresented populations, and that fairness regarding these unbalanced conditions is needed to assist equality in the provision of effective opportunities to all groups.
INCLUSION The act of creating environments in which any individual or group can be and feel welcomed, respected, supported, and valued to fully participate and bring their full, authentic selves to work. An inclusive and welcoming climate embraces differences and offers respect in the words/actions/thoughts of all people.
We strive to be a diverse and inclusive organization with informed, authentic leadership by:
- Seeing diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensure the well-being of our people and the clients we serve.
- Acknowledging and dismantling any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services.
- Exploring potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness.
- Advocating for and supporting thinking about how systemic inequities impact our organization’s work, and how best to address it.
- Encouraging conversations around topics of diversity, inclusion, and equity at our workplace.
- Committing time and resources to foster diversity.
- Leading with respect and tolerance. We expect all contractors to embrace this notion and to express it in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
- Pursuing cultural competency throughout our organization by creating learning opportunities and transparent policies.
- Developing a system for being more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring process.
- Advocating for public and private-sector policy that promotes diversity, inclusion, and equity. Challenging systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity.